Something better...

  • Posted: 2:30 PM
  • |
  • Author: Heather Bannister


         "Always leave it better than you found it..."  That was something that my parents tried to push into my head over the course of my years at home, and even for a while after I left.  I have been to two parks in my town in the past two days to play with my children and have a little family picnic.  While I was there I couldn't help but notice the astounding amount of wrappers, cigarette butts and unidentifiable pieces of trash.  Not wanting my kids to pick any of these things up and possibly put them in their mouths, I spent a few minutes walking around picking up what I could find and depositing it into the trash receptacle....which was within a thirty foot radius of the farthest piece of trash I picked up.  This post follows in with an earlier one I wrote entitled "Steward..." if you would like to take a read at that one.  Anyway, my point is this, it doesn't take that much time out of your obviously unrealistically busy schedule to take ten extra steps to go to a trash can.  It says something about the type of people we are when we leave a place in worse condition than we found it.  Mom, Dad, I think I get it!  Not only does it say something about us, but it brings glory to God when we take care of the gift he gave us that is Earth, and the parks contained therein.  We cannot, CANNOT, go on disrespecting our home like this.  Eventually we will not have these parks anymore....because the plants will die, the swing sets will crumble, and all that will be left is a barren piece of land that can be put to no use but potentially a parking lot.  Also, while we may not live in these parks, there are animals that do.  Animals that are vital to that food chain I talked about last time and that eat the trash we leave behind.  Please, throw your trash away, if you see some, pick it up and throw it away.  It doesn't take that much time and it can make a world of difference.  That's all for now, remember to vote with your fork, and as always, "Eat FOOD.  Not too much. Mostly plants."